WEST HARTFORD, CONN. (September 19, 2017) – Get the new Jewish year off to a good start at Greater Hartford’s first Mitzvah Fair and Expo, to be held Sunday, October 1, 2017 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Young Israel of West Hartford, located at 2240 Albany Avenue. Whether you are just curious, “just Jewish” or Jewishly observant, the fair will inspire you to do good deeds! It includes activities for the whole family:
- Enjoy delicious kosher BBQ
- See a sofer (a master scribe) carefully review holy scrolls, and bring your mezuzot to be checked
- Learn how to kasher your kitchen (make it kosher) and ritually wash your vegetables
- Learn the lost art of shatnez fabric checking
- Explore volunteer opportunities with Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford
- Help save a life by getting swabbed for the national Gift of Life Bone Marrow Registry
- Kids will enjoy an interactive Jewish learning project with the Commission on Jewish Education and Leadership’s WOW! initiative
The fair will also feature lots of ways to learn about and celebrate the upcoming harvest festival of Sukkot (the Feast of Booths):
- Sukkot arts and crafts for kids
- A beautiful sukkah exhibit by Sigel Hebrew Academy
- Sukkot shopping opportunities – pick out your own lulav, etrog, and Sukkot decorations
All are welcome! Admission is free with one personal hygiene item or non-perishable, kosher food item for Jewish Family Services’ Anja Rosenberg Kosher Food Pantry.
The fair is sponsored by Young Israel of West Hartford, Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford, the Sigel Hebrew Academy, Federation’s Commission on Jewish Education and Leadership (CJEL), Hebrew High School of New England, and the Gift of Life Bone Marrow Registry. To learn more, visit www.youngisraelwh.org/mitzvahexpo.
Please login to leave a comment